Friday, April 10, 2015

Only in Dreams Chapter 1


“I feel like I’m chasing my mind.” Orphen said to the woman next to him. Her name is Emily, or so she said. Everything about Emily was uncertain. The only thing that was certain was that Orphen was under her spell; almost like she was made for him, literally made for him. Her eyes were like the ocean: blue, deep, and easy to get lost in.

“Don’t you mean, losing your mind?” Emily asked. Her voice was relatively low pitched and had a boyish quality to it.

“No, I mean I’m chasing it. It goes without saying that I’m losing it as well but it’s important to note that I AM chasing it. It means that I’m not letting it go but it keeps trying to slip away. I’m not like the others; I’m quite partial to reality, to what we have here.”

Her lips slowly parted, revealing slightly imperfect teeth. Some of them were ever so slightly crooked. Her nose crinkled and the two oceans dimmed. Her smile grew wider, eventually evolving into a cute and out of character, high-pitched laughter.

“What’s so funny?” Orphen asked. He wanted to sound irritated but the girl in front of him was so perfectly imperfect that it was impossible for him to do so.

“How do you know that this is reality? For all you know, you’re eating shit in the middle of the road, mumbling to yourself. It’s not like that situation is far-fetched either. You sleep 12 hours a day. And if we count daydreams and hallucinations then you spend more time in the ephemeral world than you do in the real one. How do you know which is which?”

“Well, reality is constant. It has rules that it follows.” Orphen said unconvincingly.

“Those rules and that feeling of persistence might be part of the dream. You never realize the ridiculousness of dreams until after the illusion has faded. How can you be partial to reality when it is virtually impossible to confirm it?”

“Alright, I give. But I still prefer this, whatever this is.”

“So you don’t prefer reality. You’re just afraid of change.”

“Not change... loss.”




No comments:

Post a Comment