Thursday, April 2, 2015

Night Ramblings 2

My main philosophy in life can be summed up in one word, contrast. There’s no happiness without despair, no life without death, no pleasure without pain, you get the idea. I embrace both the good and the bad because you can’t have one without the other. In fact, the law of conservation of energy can be applied to each of these opposing concepts. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the said law of physics, it basically states that energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be changed into another form.


The same thing is true with love. You cannot actually lose love; it merely shifts into other forms, namely: pain, suffering, despair, indifference etc. The greater the love, the greater the pain it becomes. This is why I love what John Green wrote in his book, The Fault in Our Stars. “Pain demands to be felt.” Ignoring that pain is the same as ignoring the love that it used to be. Ignoring it and hoping it goes away does not make it disappear, it only makes it fester. What helps is to feel it, to accept it, maybe even enjoy it a bit, after all, the pain and suffering is merely a testament of how great that love used to be. And only then can it shift into something else. Hope maybe… or friendship, or fuel for another relationship.


I guess this paints me as somewhat masochistic. But I’d like to think that I just love all the aspects of life and all the forms that love can take. Man, I’m using the word love a lot. Freudian slip much? Well, what am I trying to say with this exactly? Nothing really, I was just transforming some of the love that I feel into words on this page. I've just been overflowing lately so I thought I’d put it to good use. God, that was so bad I could taste the corn and cheese. I’ll stop here before all my dignity transforms into shame and self-loathing. Good night.

Drawing by Emeraldus


No comments:

Post a Comment